Before the development of Nepali Unicode, Nepali fonts such as Himali, Preeti, Kantipur etc. were basically used in to type Nepali documents. All these fonts although employ Devanagari letters as glyphs or pictorial representations of letters, they still use the ASCII encoding for mapping the letters as far as storage of letters in these fonts are concerned. This brings a lot of complications while transferring the data and documents from one computer to the other. It is required that one should have the same font installed in the other computer as in the source computer where the document was prepared for opening and displaying in the target computer. In addition to this, data processing functions like “Sorting”, “Find and Replace”, “Spell checking” were also not possible with such documents.It was only after the release of the Nepali Unicode in 2002 by Madan Puraskar Pustakalaya that these problems were solved.
|Unicode provides a unique number for every character used in the computer, No matter what the platform, No matter what the program, No matter what the language.|
Using Unicode minimized the conflicts and data corruption caused by the incompatible coding system faced earlier. With the globally compatible for any data processing and encoding system the Unicode Standard has become computing industry standard is the official way to implement ISO/IEC 10646.
Nepali Unicode Support
- Windows: Windows 2000 and above supported.
- Office: Office XP and above supported.
- Almost all Linux distribution supports Unicode by default.
- Start > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options (in Classic View)
- [Tab] Language > Supplemental language support
"Install files for complex script and right-to-left language (including Thai)" and Hit Apply.
(Windows XP installation CD might be required in this stage).
- Restart the computer.
- Unicode Nepal युनिकोड नेपाल http://groups.google.com/group/unicodenepali Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type In Nepali Unicode http://www.ashesh.com.np/nepali-unicode.php
- Romanized Nepali Unicode Keyboard developed by OOPSLite Technologies http://oopslite.appspot.com/software/nepali_keyboard.html
- A set of free tools for typing, web search and email in Unicode Nepali http://www.unicodenepali.com/